Monday, February 25, 2013

the rock's story

i am a rock on a cliff
overlooking a river
you glance at me then walk away
without hearing my story
so i will tell it now
though i doubt you would listen
i was born from the remains
of collapsed stars
a trail of interstellar dust
stretched thin by the tug of gravity
gravity, which won out in the end
and pulled me back together
swept up in the tide and piled
high until the Earth appeared
for eons i cooled and rested
until i lost my fiery glow
then i waited through heat and winter
crushing cycles of hot and cold
shaping me, breaking me
making me who i am
watching life spring forth
only to be beaten
then fight it’s way back again
slowly it takes root all around me
i may look old, and worn, and weathered
but i am still young
i watch trees sprout, grow, and die
all within a blink of an eye
i feel the moss crawl around me
in swirling eddies of tickling green
night and day are a blur to me
then you come along
and pay me no mind
but i will still be here
when you are dead and gone
watching over the cycles
that make me who i am
long ages will pass
i will watch the sun set on life
for the final time
then i will wait here
lonely, with my brothers
until the Sun expands and consumes me
i will glow once again
then with an explosion of light
my guts will be propelled back into the void
and i will wander among the stars
till at last the rocks
are gathered together again
and my story is told anew

d.s.

No comments:

Post a Comment